I’m a gamer myself, and I love Nintendo, something that I’ve grown up with and Super Mario was definitely and still is one of my favourites. This was so much fun to do. There was a few trial and errors, but in the end I was happy with the result.
So first, I decide on choosing what items to make, I narrowed it down to a few :-
Yellow Brick Blocks
I know, there’s quite a bit there, but in the end I decided to choose five from the list above.
So here goes nothing……
My first challenge…the Mario Hat, I had some errors with the letter M on the hat, but finally, after about three tries. It didn’t look so bad, however, my camera skills are poor, so excuse the slight blurriness.
This was definitely all trial and error, I had no idea how to do the flap on the cap at first, but in the end, it was one of those moments where I’d hit myself on the head thinking ‘ Why didn’t I just do this earlier..’ >_< but that’s why they call it trial and error =P
On with the project….
With the first charm already made, now I know what the scale is for the rest of the charms, which made it a whole lot easier, as I made each charm similar size to the cap.
Another bad picture, but here’s the second charm, a ‘Grow’ mushroom. I really enjoyed making this, I think it looks very cute, although I wish I made the white blobs look better.
I was quite concerned with one of charms, the coin, I didn’t know how I was going to make the grooves on the inside, which what makes the coin a Mario coin. I managed to make the oval lines by using a pin, and then smoothing it out with a round tool. Next time I will post up what tools I have, so you’ll understand what I’m talking about.
I also made the lucky star, because this was my favourite item to catch, the star looks easy, but it was actually difficult to get all the corners as even as possible. They eyes really made it what it is. For my final charm, I decided to make another mushroom, not a red one, but a green ‘1up’ mushroom. After making the first ‘grow’ mushroom, I was able to craft this one a lot faster, as I used the same process.
And here it is!!!! All finished from baking, I was so engrossed in making the rest of the charms that I didn’t get pictures for it =( But I can honestly say that this is so much fun to make, and it brought back a lot of memories. I actually felt the need to play again. I should really dig out my old consoles, or get the new Mario Kart ^.^
Here it is again, where you can see their ‘faces’, excuse the shadow…note to self..need to work on photography skills.
I had bought a bigger chain this time, so didn’t have to double it up. It’s a decent size. I have to admit, the coin actually fell out once, and I freaked out, but it was okay, I hadn’t baked it yet, so was able to fix that problem, after it was baked, and again un-burnt (Yay x2) I covered them with a layer of gloss, and walaahhh!!
What was used :-
- Polymer Clay – Colours -Red, white, yellow, black, green, gold
- Silver Chain
- Head Pins
- Eye Pins
- Craft knife
- Rounding tool
- Sculpey Gloss
There you have it! I hope you enjoyed this post. Next, I will be posting what tools I use and what my favourite tools are, plus details of my next project.